Thursday, 22 September 2016

Hallowe'en (1978)

Dat soundtrack tho'.

I absolutely love this film. I feel like it started so many horror tropes but actually did them well! Plus we've got a local lad in a major role in this one.

There are so many things to rave about but I don't want to spoil it for those that may have some how missed out on this one.

I was half going to chuck this one in as a double bill with Rob zombie's rather excellent re-imagining of it but we'll go with that as an optional extra. Along with all those abysmal sequels if you can get through them. There is an interesting one (season of the witch I think) that was going for an episodic approach that never really took off, I may have misremembered though.

HAVE AT IT!

5 comments:

  1. Good choice Matt.

    I can't remember the last time I watched this film. In some ways it was better than I remember and in some ways worse.

    I think Jamie Lee Curtis is great in the lead role but some of the supporting cast are really quite awful.

    I agree it does the whole slasher horror movie thing very well and was probably the first to do a lot of the things that are now seen as cliché.

    In some ways it does feel very dated but that's probably more to do with the way films were made in the 70s. The first 45 minutes were very slow and at times quite dull but the second half of the film I thought really stood up well and was very enjoyable.

    All in all a pretty good film although not a patch on Ghosts of Mars....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this film again.

    I agree that Jamie Lee Curtis was great as the lead but the other performances didn't bother me as you don't ever watch a horror film and expect great acting. It's all about the suspense and story.

    I quite enjoyed the first 45 minutes with Donald Pleasance hamming it up and adding to the terror of Michael Myers. Also, the opening scene is awesome with all the mental patient's wandering round in the rain and the music. Think it all builds the suspense of the film.

    Love it! Good choice Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot how much this film makes me jump!.

    To say it was made 1978 it's still stands up today as one of the scariest horror films. This is I believe because of the music and the build up.
    Jamie Lee Curtis is brilliant in this film and what a babe too!

    Great choice Matt loved watching this film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought schatner was perfect in it! Although I don't remember him being that tall

    ReplyDelete