Sunday, 8 May 2016

Raging Bull

Ok... I'm playing by the rules and doing an official post for it this time...


 Half of my reason for choosing this is the fact Adam has owned it on dvd since the days we used to actually count how many dvds we had and never watched it, but Adams probably 6 films behind on this now so he probably still won't watch it.

So to my other half reason!
De Niro.... My only real memory of this film is how awesome he is in it! Possibly his greatest performance (although I hear bad grandpa is pretty good) and I just wanted to watch it again as a reminder that he was once great... Even if he makes some terrible choices now a days! Also... Who doesn't love a scorcese movie?

So... Is there a better deniro performance?
How does this rank amongst scorcese films?

.... We are going to watch African Queen now!! But I wanted to get in there early to ensure I'm not gazumped again! Ha


13 comments:

  1. I didn't watch all of this film as I thought it was a bit boring to be honest. It wasn't as good as Rocky! I can see that DeNiro's performance was very good but I personally preferred him when he played a cross dressing pirate in Stardust. I don't think this is Scorcese's best film by far. I think Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street were far better. It was a good choice but I wasn't really a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pah, woman's nonsense. Amazing film, portrays lamotta as the swine he was, even if it does attribute a little too much talent his way. Sugar ray danced rings around him, and hurt him quite a bit I reckon. Who would play sugar ray in a film adaptation do we think? Gotta love pesci in this, he's massively underrated in my opinion, lethal weapon was his real tour de force obviously, but this is still OK! I watched it all, does that mean mine counts for more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Matthew, you win... Zoe I'm Dissapointed! This film is just not comparable to Rocky, I mean... Rockys amazing, one of my favourites actually and yeah maybe it is better... But this film is just nothing like rocky! This film is a true story, and it's more about the man, his relationships and his struggles than the boxing! Get it watched to the end! I think pesci and deniro rule in this and I actually think that whilst I'm sure deniro has fun in his newer films, it's a little bit sad to me that such a great actor makes films like bad grandpa or whatever it's called. He had such commitment to this film and I think it's one of his best performances, wish his and scorcese would team up again... Could be really interesting. I think scorcese is a genius, the film is so beautifully made and shot... The shot of the blood on the rope... Love it! I'm glad I chose this as I really enjoyed revisiting it! Maybe it's not scorceses best, but it's definitely a fantastic film in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Matthew, you win... Zoe I'm Dissapointed! This film is just not comparable to Rocky, I mean... Rockys amazing, one of my favourites actually and yeah maybe it is better... But this film is just nothing like rocky! This film is a true story, and it's more about the man, his relationships and his struggles than the boxing! Get it watched to the end! I think pesci and deniro rule in this and I actually think that whilst I'm sure deniro has fun in his newer films, it's a little bit sad to me that such a great actor makes films like bad grandpa or whatever it's called. He had such commitment to this film and I think it's one of his best performances, wish his and scorcese would team up again... Could be really interesting. I think scorcese is a genius, the film is so beautifully made and shot... The shot of the blood on the rope... Love it! I'm glad I chose this as I really enjoyed revisiting it! Maybe it's not scorceses best, but it's definitely a fantastic film in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this film. My god he was a jerk!
    I have to agree with both zoe and carl with this film though. Zoe i agree that it's not my favourite boxing film and it is a bit long but I also have to agree with carl that it is very different to rocky.

    I love the whole style of this film it so cool with the blood spirts and music! Uou can so tell it is a Scorceses film but it's one of his film s that I doubt I'd want to go out of my way to watch again unlike other great films such as casino, shutter island and wolf of wall street.
    But I am very glad I finally got round to watching it as been on my to watch list for years!
    Thanks Carlos xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this film. My god he was a jerk!
    I have to agree with both zoe and carl with this film though. Zoe i agree that it's not my favourite boxing film and it is a bit long but I also have to agree with carl that it is very different to rocky.

    I love the whole style of this film it so cool with the blood spirts and music! Uou can so tell it is a Scorceses film but it's one of his film s that I doubt I'd want to go out of my way to watch again unlike other great films such as casino, shutter island and wolf of wall street.
    But I am very glad I finally got round to watching it as been on my to watch list for years!
    Thanks Carlos xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I have finally watched it. Was it worth the wait and the hype? I'm not sure. There are things I loved about this film and things I really didn't.

    Bob and Joe were awesome as always in this film. As was the actress who played Vicky. I couldn't fault any of their performances. I'm very happy I've watched it for that reason. I thought as always the direction from Marty was excellent, as you say Carl, the blood on the rope was genius. Also I loved it being in black and white, a great artistic choice for such a colourful (nobhead) character.

    I agree with Zoe that it was a bit dull and slow in places and I felt like it was perhaps building to something and then it didn't in places. I know it was about the guy and his struggles but sometimes it felt like there wasn't a lot going on in his life outside of his fights. The fights were fantastic and it seems a shame they were actually a background part of the film for so much of it, especially when nothing else seemed to be happening in his life.

    For me having watches Casino and Good fellas quite a bit it felt in places like a slower duller version of those films with the odd boxing match thrown in here and there. There were definitely a few of the themes and scenes that were very similar to those other films and featuring the same actors. It felt like maybe a prototype for Casino and Good fellas.

    So I'm glad I finally watched it and in places it was captivating but overall it felt longer than its just over 2 hour running time and I'm not sure I'll watch it again. I'd rather watch Goodfellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barnes I think you've nailed it with that summary... Not his best but worth a watch, and now I can stop nagging you! Haha

      Delete
  9. I agree too. Brilliant review Adam! Haha you two are so funny!
    I still dont like that sofa jumpping Cuban heels wearing Tom Cruise tho!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for the delay in getting my review written.

    I really liked seeing the actors so young and I don't think there was a bad performance in there. Obviously Robert DeNiro was awesome and portrayed the character very well. I can't believe how violent boxing was back then, I mean I know boxing is violent but they wouldn't let that shit happen in the ring these days! I think they even have stricter rules on UFC these days than boxing back then! His wife was also clearly a saint to put up with his nonsense!

    I liked the black and white filming and the overall feel of the film but it was largely quite slow and dull in places. I don't know whether it is because we are used to faster paced films these days or whether it was just trying to be honest to the story (more like real life). It did make me check my watch quite a few times and the crochet came out!

    Overall, liked it but too slow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome review lucy. I agree I think we are spoiled with fast pace films. Perhaps if we had watched this when it first came out maybe we might have viewed this film differently... xx

      Delete
    2. Awesome review lucy. I agree I think we are spoiled with fast pace films. Perhaps if we had watched this when it first came out maybe we might have viewed this film differently... xx

      Delete