Thursday, 30 June 2016

Harvey/donnie darko

Imaginary rabbit off! Watch them both... And decide which is best? Ok ok I know they're not very comparable but how many other films have a giant rabbit in them? 

Looking forwards to thoughts on both! :) 

18 comments:

  1. Great shout! Possibly spirited away? Was that a rabbit? Anyway, nice choices for weekend films! Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said harvey and lars and the real girl would be a good comparison too x

      Delete
  2. So, we just watched donnie darko. Such an awesome film, even drew barrymore couldn't lessen my enjoyment of it. I think we watched a director's cut that breaks the film down into chapters using extracts from the philosophy of time travel.

    So many theories! Warning SPOILERS ahead.

    Frank is one of the manipulated dead so is aware that he has to guide donnie to return the artifact (jet engine). He knows in order to do this he has to die in the tangent universe, so, first job;save donnie from the artifact crashing in through his bedroom, donnie wakes up on the golf course. This is the beginning of the tangent universe. Next job, make donnie meet gretchen so he finally goes to grandma death's house and ultimately kills Frank (giving Frank the ability to go back in time to, once again, guide donnie). Frank tells him to flood the school so that it gets closed for the day and donnie walks home with gretchen (another of the manipulated dead surely?)

    I think at this point everything is set in motion and he finally knows what he has to do. Vortex appears over the house, engine returns to where it came from, primary universe in tact, donnie has a grin, dies anyway, the end. Plus so much more shit I imagine,like the therapist, I think her role is more important than we realise, thoughts? Over thinking an awesome film?

    I think I liked this version more, fills in the blanks, feels more Sci fi and less random early noughties film. Good choice Carl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long is the directors cut. Think we will watch that. Awesome post Matt x

      Delete
    2. Just over two hours, definitely worth it

      Delete

  3. Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

    Well I just love Harvey. Such a brilliant film, so heart warming and I think it could have been before its time.
    This film makes me smile from ear to ear.
    Makes you realise that ever day is a beautiful day and that when some one is a bit different,it's a beautiful thing and not something to be scared of.

    Really enjoyed watching Harvey this morning.

    Thank you for picking this film Carl!

    Now I need to watch Donnie Darko directors cut... perhaps tonight..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've just finished watching it again, such a lovely film, lots of genuine laugh out loud moments to boot as well. I could watch Jimmy all day I reckon.

      Although I do have less theories about this one to be fair

      Delete
    2. I mean who couldn't watch him all day! Every film should have Jimmy in it! Xx

      Delete
  4. Right so we have just finished watching Donnie Darko.

    I am not going to lie when I saw that Carl picked this I was a bit bummed out. I have watched it a couple of times when I was at school and couldn't really remember it being that good...

    Well I can tell you now I really enjoyed it!what a fantastic and very original film!

    The music and the whole feel of the film is so strange yet wonderful.

    I thought this might be a bit dated but I don't think so at all!

    We watched the directors cut and it spelled it out better for me.

    The bunny out fit! I mean how amazing is the costume and who came up with it..? Dale Brady did. He also worked on the make up for the awesome film from last month's post "the thing" (1982). There is no wonder why it
    Scares the hell out of me.

    Now I want to Watch the faculty!

    So now its down to the imaginary rabbit off...

    So Harvey is completely on the opposite end of the scale to Donnie Darko. They couldn't be more opposite films!


    What they do have in common is that both rabbits are 6 ft...


    Spoiler alert!
    At the beginning of both films you think that both Frank and Harvey are imaginary. In the end you realise that both frank and Harvey are in fact NOT imaginary. Mind blown!


    I really loved watching both of these films!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right so we have just finished watching Donnie Darko.

    I am not going to lie when I saw that Carl picked this I was a bit bummed out. I have watched it a couple of times when I was at school and couldn't really remember it being that good...

    Well I can tell you now I really enjoyed it!what a fantastic and very original film!

    The music and the whole feel of the film is so strange yet wonderful.

    I thought this might be a bit dated but I don't think so at all!

    We watched the directors cut and it spelled it out better for me.

    The bunny out fit! I mean how amazing is the costume and who came up with it..? Dale Brady did. He also worked on the make up for the awesome film from last month's post "the thing" (1982). There is no wonder why it
    Scares the hell out of me.

    Now I want to Watch the faculty!

    So now its down to the imaginary rabbit off...

    So Harvey is completely on the opposite end of the scale to Donnie Darko. They couldn't be more opposite films!


    What they do have in common is that both rabbits are 6 ft...


    Spoiler alert!
    At the beginning of both films you think that both Frank and Harvey are imaginary. In the end you realise that both frank and Harvey are in fact NOT imaginary. Mind blown!


    I really loved watching both of these films!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fear-x-------------------y-love

    X=donnie darko
    Y=harvey

    Agreed! Very glad I picked both of these, and very glad we watched the directors cut. I'm glad both versions exist. I might not have revisited it so many times had this been the original and I loved the mystery of that version

    That said, it was good to see it spelled out a bit more by the director and like you said matt it feels more Sci fi.

    I was really scared this might be a film that I just loved when I was 18 cause it was weird and different but that was actually a bit crap... But if anything I think watching it again has renewed my love for it. Awesome film!

    "why are you wearing that stupid man suit"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agreed about liking both versions. I do feel a bit more like we were joining donnie on his journey in this one though, less about random chucking stuff together, weird for the sake of it like was popular back then. Where are films like this now? Wait is spiderman 7 out this weekend, exciting!

      Delete
  7. Well we've just watched the Directors Cut of Donnie Darko. It's been quite a while since I watched the original theatrical release but I did watch that film an awful lot back in the day.

    I think I agree with Carl that if this version had been the original I definitely wouldn't have watched it as much. I loved trying to figure out what everything meant and how it all fit together. I feel all the relevant information was there (excluding all the new terminology) for you to put it all together, if you were willing to watch it a few times.

    I kind of liked the idea of us seeing excerpts from the book, as Matt said, taking the journey along with Donnie. I did, however, feel it was just trying to spell it out for you, which I didn't like.

    I didn't like the close up of the eye and weird sound effects everytime Frank was about to talk to Donnie. Think it disrupted the flow of the film and the end bit where it rewinds the films. What the hell was going on there? Why we're there loads of fireworks and random shit? I thought the original was tidier. I also felt the same way about where they showed the chapters. At the end when the engine falls on Donnie in the original the crash of the engine wakes Dr Thurman and leads to the montage. In this version the engine crashes then we have to do a bit of reading and then everyone wakes up. Just doesn't work for me.

    I really love this film even with all the extra stuff, some of the extra bits I liked some not so. The original will always be better in my mind but was definitely interesting to see what Richard Kelly wanted it to be like.

    Katy you're right, Frank's costume has always been my favourite thing about this film. What an incredible piece of sculpture.

    We'll try and watch Harvey in the next few days. So watch this space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant post Adam! Xx

      Delete
    2. Cheers Katy. Although I got caught up in the differences between films and forgot to talk about the themes.

      The one big question that the new version did nothing more to answer still had me wondering 'Is Donnie Darko a "superhero"?'.

      It is briefly mentioned in the dialogue but assuming the tangent universe did occur and assuming Donnie did all the things he thinks he did, (I know, a lot of assumptions and you know what that does?) how does he do it?

      It appears as though he can enter any building at will regardless of security, he can perceive things about time and space no one else can and most importantly he appears to have super human strength (again only mentioned briefly but none of the faculty can figure out how someone got an axe into a solid bronze statue).

      So is Donnie a "super hero" when he is under Frank's control. Or is it all an act of God (also mentioned quite a few times) and is God giving him these superhuman qualities?

      Or of course is it all a delusion? Although this doesn't explain everyone waking up with fragments of memories/emotions of what happened in the tangent universe.

      Discuss :)

      Delete
    3. Mind blown! Never thought of that at all. Wow you really know this film... xx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete