Tuesday, 29 March 2016

The Caine Mutiny

This is one of my favourite Bogart movies. His performance of Queeg was gritty, intense and I think his finest, stupid brando "cudda bin a contenda" pipped him at the post for best actor in 1954. I think it might be the overly produced, stage performances of those around him that let him down. Don't get me wrong, I do love Fred macmurray (double indemnity anyone?) but his performance did stick out compared to Bogart's. Give it a watch, see what you reckon!
Dose metal balls though (you'll see)

3 comments:

  1. Trying to write this with no spoilers so apologies if it's a bit cryptic! I Can't disagree that it's a great performance by bogart, and there was a lot to love about this film, you're never quite sure what to make of bogarts character and the last half hour is really gripping where we see who the real "old yellow stain" is!

    For the time it was made I thought the effects were great, even with the use of some stock footage!

    That said I couldn't help think it was slightly let down by some of the other actors. I really didn't connect with "willy Keith" which is a shame considering the awesomeness of his name! Thought the character was unlikeable, rude and didn't care for his back story or his relationship struggles.... Just stop kissing your mum every 5 seconds willy!

    Another thing I noted was the soundtrack. I know it's a different era, but I felt the film had the soundtrack of an errol flynn adventure film when it was supposed to be a war drama, probably just something lost over time, but it grated on me a little!

    Enjoyed the film though and it was a good choice cause I probably never would have watched it otherwise!

    So... My choice

    I'm gonna be dull and re suggest raging Bull... I was going to say dial m for murder as I've never seen it and I love hitchock... But I'm not going to be happy in life until Adam has finally watched raging Bull! Plus I haven't seen it in years!

    Adam blow the dust off that dvd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!
      Oooh raging bull. Get ur post posted so it's all official xx

      Delete
  2. I agree completely with Carl.
    Willy Keith was not a likeable charter for me and I really wanted to see that smerk knocked of his face!

    I really loved the last few scene's of this film. Without giving anything away Bogat's performance was fantastic and I absolutely loved the final group scene, I didn't expect that to go down...

    The sound track was brilliant, I mean you would never have such an upbeat musical score in a modern day thriller.

    All this aside i must admit i was a little disappointed that this film wasn't a musical! I felt that there was so many opportunities for a classic nautical musical number! I mean they already had the camp costumes!

    During the film, me and Carl found that we had developed an obsession with finding information out about the actor Van Johnson due to his scar. What a fascinating story, that alone could be a movie...

    Also spotted one of the 12 angry men in this film and later on that night we decided to watch the Exorcist which also had a fellow angry man in it!

    Great choice Matthew, I would have never watched this film if you had not suggested it and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete