Sunday, 31 January 2016

Grave of the fireflies

So my choice is an animated film from 1988 called Grave of the fireflies.
For me this little Japanese animation produced by Studio Ghibli is an absolute masterpiece.
This animation is very special, such a harrowing story set at the tail end of world war 2 in Japan yet this is so beautiful.
I feel that at times when I watch this animation I get so engrossed I actually forget that it's actually a cartoon!
So I'd really like people to give this a watch and tell me what you think.
I'd also like to know if you too forget at times that this is a cartoon or is there another animation that's does this to you....?
Please be warned it is a little upsetting at times.
Carl's going to find a torrent and send it round.
Hope you enjoy it guys. Xx

2 comments:

  1. We've just watch Grave of Fireflies and I thought I'd see what you (Katie) had posted about why to watch it and I seems I'm therefore the first person to post 🙂
    I have mixed feelings about it. I didn't dislike it but it was the first time I have seen this type of animation. I grew to feel for the characters but got a bit sidetracked by the stilted nature of the dialogue. Usually for a film as harrowing as this I would have shed a few tears but something in the making of it stopped me from getting as involved as I would usually expect to. Having said that for film from the 80s on a small scale budget it is quite impressive.
    Maybe this style of film is just not for me. Sorry, I gave it a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this film, the mood was getting far too rambunctious over dinner so we watched this to bring it down a touch.

    All the classic anime stuff made me want to watch more! The sliding still framed panels, and repeated frame animations. Pretty solid voice performances for a translation. Off to see if I can rope zoe into lots more anime

    ReplyDelete