Wednesday, 30 December 2015

It's a Wonderful Life

We all know it we all love it! (even though it cannot manage to bring some of us to tears!)

I thought this would be a nice easy one to get the ball rolling with this thing.

So, let's hear it, what do we think about this one? Chuck out any questions that you might think  are interesting. I'll start off with;

Does Potter have a point? Can a George Bailey character ever exist?

GO POTTERSVILLE!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/

Try to avoid blatant spoilers please folks.

First to reply gets to pick the next film.

We'll create a new post in two weeks (Wednesday 13th January 2016) unless we're screaming out for more awesome filmness!

10 comments:

  1. We're about to give it a watch, in colour! Zut alors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed watching it in colour. I don't really understand your question about if Potter has a point but I'd like to think George Bailey could exist. My question is, did Sesame Street use this as inspiration for Bert and Ernie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats right thats where their names come from!

      Delete
  3. Got to be surely (our next film should be airplane lolcakes)

    first time I've seen it all the way through in colour, loved it. Somehow makes it more immersive! Which bits make you well up the most. For me it's when old man Gower hits his bad ear but George saves the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is the first moment I cry at but I cry my heart out at the very end! Nothing beats that magic moment! "Teacher says!"

      Delete
  4. It’s a wonderful life.
    Having watched this film countless times as this is my favourite film of all time, I worry that same may find my review of this film biase but I dissagree.
    This film is a cinema master piece with the most heart warming and also heart breaking moments, yet life is still wonderful.
    Frank Capra has a gift of setting the scene, capturing the moving momement thus pulling on our heart strings.
    But for me the magical twinkle of the film is the amazing connection between Mary and George. Its that moment when George realises that he truly loves Mary, while she’s on the phone to Sam Wainwright. Despite his efforts to ignor this fact the tension between them alone is just pure magic. I feel that it is scenes like this (which they are many in this film) that make you realise that you are watching something truly special.
    James Stewart in my eyes is the star of the film. Without any spoilers, THAT moment (which we will all experience in life at some point where you feel like giving up) is so beautifully performed and for me throughout, Jimmy makes me smile so much it aches, laugh out loud, cry with pure heart break and happiness and creat the toastiest feeling iv ever felt and this is all in one film! The mans a genius!
    Each time I watch this film, I notice something different. I am not sure if its deliberate or not but watch out for uncle Billy’s pet crow! It seems that the only time uncle Billy’s pet crow appears is when George is faced with a life changing moment that effects his future plans.
    For me the cast and crew are phenomenal to create such a beautiful film from beginning to end. Makes you forget at times that it is in fact 70 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A George bailey character must always exist, and always will. We experience kindness from friends, family and even strangers all the time.
    I have never been rich in money before but all I know is what I have been told by others who are rich. My director who is a self made multi millionaire said "Money does not make you happy but what it does is gives you more choice"
    you cant by true friendship and love. Modern day film stars/ pop stars etc... how many are worth millions and go off the fails because they are trouble and not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome post Katy! It's made me want to watch it again now.

      I'd like to think I'd give the 8 grand back, buuuut, my arch nemesis, my most fierce rival, hmm not sure I'm that good!

      Delete
  6. Better late than never...

    So, it's a wonderful life! What to say that's not already been said? I only discovered this film about 6 or 7 years ago on one of those days between Christmas and new year that somehow always feel like Sundays. I sat down as it started on TV just by chance and thought... Why not? So often you end up messing with your phone or finding something to distract you, but not from this one! I was instantly hooked, transformed to the world of Bedford falls and absolutely transfixed by the life of George Bailey. I do think a character like this could exist!! He's not perfect, he is just driven by good morals and doing what is right. People use the phrase "nice guys finish last" and I've always hated it! A cynic could watch this film and say... Well that saying is true, George hasn't travelled, his friend used his idea and made millions whilst he struggled through and so on. But I think the message from Clarence sums it up beautifully, George is the richest man in Bedford falls and without him, so many people would be so much worse off.

    I like to think there are lots of George baileys in life, I also like to think myself lucky that I know so many people who would follow George's path if they were in his situation.

    Every time I watch this film I love it more, an absolute favourite, the film that got me hooked on James Stewart, and an absolute peice of cinematic gold that I will enjoy at least once every year for as long as I live!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never...

    So, it's a wonderful life! What to say that's not already been said? I only discovered this film about 6 or 7 years ago on one of those days between Christmas and new year that somehow always feel like Sundays. I sat down as it started on TV just by chance and thought... Why not? So often you end up messing with your phone or finding something to distract you, but not from this one! I was instantly hooked, transformed to the world of Bedford falls and absolutely transfixed by the life of George Bailey. I do think a character like this could exist!! He's not perfect, he is just driven by good morals and doing what is right. People use the phrase "nice guys finish last" and I've always hated it! A cynic could watch this film and say... Well that saying is true, George hasn't travelled, his friend used his idea and made millions whilst he struggled through and so on. But I think the message from Clarence sums it up beautifully, George is the richest man in Bedford falls and without him, so many people would be so much worse off.

    I like to think there are lots of George baileys in life, I also like to think myself lucky that I know so many people who would follow George's path if they were in his situation.

    Every time I watch this film I love it more, an absolute favourite, the film that got me hooked on James Stewart, and an absolute peice of cinematic gold that I will enjoy at least once every year for as long as I live!

    ReplyDelete